AUTOTRUCK CLUB

THE CLUB FOR SMALL INDUSTRIAL / HORTICULTURAL TRUCKS LISTER, MERCURY, WRIGLEY, WRIGLEY UNION, BONSER, MARTIN, GEEST ETC.

FORUM

Forum Home > Wrigley / Geest & other Villiers powered trucks > Villiers Horse power

Brian

Hi.

Anyone know what the horse power will be of my Villiers engined Martin Bonser truck. Its not been going for years and is going to cost to much in parts to get it going.

I've seen you can buy new Villiers engines on ebay. Do you know if they are any good ?

Greatfull for any advice.

Brian

February 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

noddy

put up photo of engine

March 9, 2015 at 4:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Colin Hope

Hi Brian,

The Villiers engine on my Bonser, a Villiers 4/44, is billed as 4.5 bhp at 1,600 rpm or 8 bhp at 3,200 rpm in my 1964 Spare Parts List.  Some other Bonsers have a C45 (I think) which gives 8 bhp at 3,000 rpm.  Can we handle this much raw power???

I noticed the new Villiers engines on Ebay, would be interested to hear if anyone has tried one?

Colin

April 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Colin Hope

Since my last post about Villiers engines, I've fitted "Bonnie Bonser" with one of the modern  Villiers engines, a G270 from Ebay seller pumpsuk. It's a Honda-lookalike motor, and some of these have had dire reviews on the Web - however the Villiers engines are built in India, and I didn't see any adverse reviews about them, so I took the plunge and bought one.

I chose the G270 engine because it was the nearest to the original in power (9 bhp). Wondered whether to get the bigger 13hp engine, but thought the Bonser transmission might be strained by it - "Bonnie"s clutch and back axle seem to be lasting well, but there's no point in tempting fate!

The G270 is a complete change from "Bonnie"s original, but now ailing and noisy engine - quiet exhaust, no fuel leaks, first-time starting, very little vibration, and good fuel economy.

Time will tell how well the G270 engine lasts. I doubt it will go on for as long as the 4/44 did  - but for the time being it's performing really well. A smaller engine than the 4/44 (270cc as opposed to 430), but overhead valve,  so the claimed 9bhp seems credible. I'm finding that the Bonser seems to have as much power (?) as she used to have when driven by the 4/44, though the new engine lacks the traction-engine-like torque of the original (which was Side Valve).

I 've still got the 4/44 engine, and might refurbish it if I get an idle moment... but for the time being I'm enjoying driving my Bonser with a quiet, clean, vibration-free engine that seems to live up to the maker's claimed petrol consumption of 1.22 litres/hour. I'll let the club know quickly enough if I encounter any problems with it (the engine, not the Club)!

Colin

December 27, 2015 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

john

Hi, my Bonser has a Villiers C45. All refurbished ready for a road test was great until the head gasket blew. But my Bonser truck did go well, so all out now  looking for a head gasket. John.

April 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

john

Hi all, just got a cylinder head gasket put on my Bonser truck it is running spot on, my engine is a C45 I will put the information on here hope it will help some one out.

Norton Villiers. C45  Industrial  Engine,

Capacity/ 433cc.   8.0 b.h.p

WIPAC impulse  Anti- clockwise magneto.

Thanks, john.������

May 3, 2016 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.